Becky Aurora Thompson

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERAWhen Becky Aurora Thompson was ready to continue on for her bachelor’s degree after earning her associate degree at Colorado Mountain College in Leadville, the thought of moving to an urban area and only being able to get up to the mountains once or twice a week was highly unappealing.

“Staying in the mountains was important to me as someone from rural South Dakota who loves snowboarding,” says Thompson. “By earning a bachelor’s degree from CMC I was able to earn a four-year degree without leaving the mountain community that I love.”

Staying in Leadville for her bachelor’s of business administration degree also allowed Becky to work full time while attending school. She was able to put the knowledge and skills she gained in her two-year Ski Area Operations degree to good use by working at a nearby ski area. And, she was able to continue to benefit from CMC’s small class sizes, which she found to be one of the highlights of the program.

Currently contemplating her next step after graduation, Becky is looking into starting her own photography business, a move that would “allow me to pursue my love of photography while simultaneously using my business degree.”